Friday, October 30, 2009

Chicken Stock

What do I do with the chicken after a delicious roast chicken dinner from my previous post?  I use the giblets and the carcass to make chicken stock.

Ingredients
leftover whole chicken (or soup bones from the butcher)
carrots, onions, celery, any root veggies (you can use the ones that had been roasted under the chicken, or fresh roughly chopped ones.  If you need to be frugal, you can save the chopped off ends and the pared skin of veggies in a freezer bag, and use them in this stock.)
water

Remove the chicken meat from the carcass of the roast chicken.



Save the chicken meat for other things.  (You could throw into a tortilla with salsa for a nice taco, add to the stock you'll be making with this recipe for a nice soup, add to a casserole.) 



Put the carcass, the reserved giblets, the vegetables, and skin into a stock pot.  Fill with water and bring to a boil.  Let simmer for about an hour.

I forgot to take pictures of it, I will fill them in next time I make stock, but once it smells fragrant and all the water is golden-brothy, place a colander in a large bowl and pour out all the water.  I put that in the refrigerator to cool.  I don't have a stockpot, so to get the quantity of stock that I want and the flavor level,  I generally refill the pot with fresh water and boil it again for another hour.  Then I pour it again into a colander, adding it to the first batch of stock, since the first batch was very flavorful stock and the second batch is weaker, it evens out to a nice balance.  Then I cool it, measure it into freezer bags, and freeze the stock for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment