Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pumpkin Mascarpone Tart

This recipe uses the "French Tart Dough" crust from David Lebovitz's website.

Ingredients
6T butter (I use dairy-free margarine)
1T veggie oil (I use canola)
3T water
1T sugar
1/8 t salt
1 heaping cup flour

Preheat oven to 410F degrees.
In an ovenproof bowl (I used one of my pyrex mixing bowls) put the butter, veggie oil, water, sugar and salt.


Heat in the oven until it is bubbly and browning around the edges, about 15 minutes.  Careful when you're checking it, it spatters a bit.


Take it out of the oven and dump the flour in --don't forget the bowl is VERY hot and this WILL spatter!


I let it sit for a minute.


Stir it with a fork until it makes a ball.


Let it cool down until you can handle it.


Line a tart pan with wax or parchment paper.


Put it in a tart pan. 


Save a marble-sized piece of dough for patching up cracks after it bakes (I put it in a shot-glass for safe-keeping.)  Press the dough into the pan and up the edges, try to keep it even.  Stab it all over with a fork, taking care not to make tears by scraping the fork.  Be sure to stab into the corners where the dough might be a bit thick.

 Bake until lightly browned. Patch any cracks with the reserved dough.



Now to make the filling!

Ingredients
1 c pumpkin
1/2 container mascarpone
cardamum
cinnamon
ginger
nutmeg
cloves
allspice
brown sugar
powdered sugar

Mix the pumpkin with the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and brown sugar, all to taste.  I used about a 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 each ginger and nutmeg, a few shakes of cloves and allspice.  This is basically pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar, if you prefer to use that.  Spread on crust.

 


I should have put it in the oven now to heat through, but i didn't.  Instead I mixed the cardamom, powdered sugar and mascarpone to taste.  I then spread that on really messily, accidentally getting it mixed in with the pumpkin.


Then I baked it at 350F, melting the cheese into the pumpkin.  It made a nice toasted marshmallow type melted topping , but not the cream-cheese texture I was hoping for.
If you are using a pie pan with removable bottom, be very careful when you take the bottom out of the pie pan (and when you take it out of the oven!) I have burnt myself twice when they came awkwardly, and I have also broken the crust a bit, as it is perfectly flaky and crumbly.

It was still delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment