Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hubby's Birthday Dinner

For my husband's birthday dinner, I made his ideal, meat-and-potatoes dinner followed by chocolate cake.
Caveat: I have never made a steak before. If we had steak when I was growing up, my dad grilled it. I was a little apprehensive about ruining a perfectly good (and more expensive than our normal budget) piece of meat! I asked the butcher for directions, and followed them religiously to delicious results!

Menu:
Ribeye steak
Green beans
Mashed potatoes
Chocolate cake

I bought fresh green beans at a local Farmer's market (see previous post) and I blanched them in chicken stock (reserved it), then dressed them with olive oil, lemon juice and cracked pepper.
I boiled potatoes, and mashed them with the reserved chicken stock and some margarine.
For the rib-eye steak: I seared it in a frying pan until browned on both sides, then placed it on a cookie sheet covered in foil, gently tented foil over it leaving room to breathe, and baked it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. I then let it rest, still covered, for 10 minutes before serving.

The final product:


For the cake, I followed the Barefoot Contessa at Home recipe for Beatty's Chocolate Cake and chocolate frosting.

For the cake, I did not have two same-sized round cake pans so I improvised with two different sized ones. For the frosting, I missed the direction about not using chocolate chips due to stabilizers, so after being in the fridge the frosting turned lumpy as the chips tried to maintain their pre-melted shapes. I also left out the egg yolk and instant coffee.

The very homemade-but-still-tasty looking final product:

No comments:

Post a Comment